Trains travelling on tracks are allocated warrants to run on track sections for a specified period. As this has significant safety implications a rule set based system was implemented to manage the allocation, modification and cancellation of warrants.
- Microsoft Windows Forms
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)
- IBM DB2 Database
- Microsoft Windows Services
- Microsoft Visual Studio
Key elements of the solution are:
- Rules based validation to ensure accurate data entry.
- Visual representation of related track elements (stations, waypoints, crossings etc) to improve understanding.
- Easy update of the base track information.
- High availability and failover.
- A performant solution enhancing user experience.
A track warrant system was created that uses a Microsoft Windows forms based application managing the warrant validation rules and interacting with Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). The IIS server then communicates with dedicated Microsoft Windows services containing the backend server logic. The warrant information is stored in a clustered DB2 database system with automatic failover.